Each year on February 22nd the Girl Scouts of America celebrate World Thinking Day. Each year there is a change in global location and theme. The theme for 2010 is "together we can end extreme hunger and poverty."
Lofty aspirations for a bunch of young ladies, right? Not really, when you read through these 10 Juliette "Daisy" Gordon Low's inspirational quotes for Girl Scouts young and old.
1. "The work of today is the history of tomorrow, and we are its makers."
2. "Come right over, I've got something for the girls of Savannah and all America and all the world and we're going to start it tonight!"
3. "I realize that each year it has changed and grown until I know that, a decade from now, what I might say of it would seem like an echo of what has been instead of what is."
4. "Right is right, even if no one else does it."
5. "I always loved animals. I was constantly coming home with stray dogs, cats and even horses. Sometimes they weren't strays, but I felt that their owners were neglecting them."
6. "A badge is a symbol that you have done the thing it stands for often enough, thoroughly enough, and well enough to be prepared to give service in it."
7. "When I returned to the States and wanted to start the Girl Scouts, I knew I needed some help. The first woman I approached tried to tell me she wasn't interested. I pretended that my deafness prevented me from hearing her refusals."
8. "Ours is a circle of friends united by ideals."
9. "Once I showed up at my sister's with a baby rabbit I had bought from some children because its ears were cold. I put the rabbit on a hot water bottle and massaged its ears for quite a while. After all, I knew that all healthy animals had warm ears."
10. "So it is that the Scouting Spirit. Rises within you and inspires you to put forth your best."
Daisy Low was born at the start of the Civil War, daughter of a Yankee and a Confederate soldier. Rising out of the tensions surrounding her early years, she grew up to start an American Institution called the Girl Scouts of America. These inspirational quotes by her encourage worldwide support for this year's World Thinking Day.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.