Nurse Margaret. Yes. She is perhaps my favorite nurse. She also is my dear friend. Every year come May, I remember to appreciate and love her for the gifts she has given me. The first time I noticed the work of strong hands. They were her hands. The first time I recognized superior intelligence... it was her explanation of a routine surgery my mom was undergoing. And when I bore my beloved babies it was her arms I always felt safe entrusting their little bodies.
So happy Nurses Day, Margaret and all her fellow nurses!
1. "Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art, it requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation, as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble, compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit?" ~Florence Nightingale
2. "It would not be possible to praise nurses too highly." ~Stephen Ambrose
3. "The trained nurse has become one of the great blessings of humanity, taking a place beside the physician and the priest...." ~William Osler
4. "When you're a nurse you know that every day you will touch a life or a life will touch yours." ~Author Unknown
5. "A nurse is compassion in scrubs." ~Lexie Saige
6. "Nurses serve their patients in the most important capacities. We know that they serve as our first lines of communication when something goes wrong or when we are concerned about health." ~Lois Capps
7. "Constant attention by a good nurse may be just as important as a major operation by a surgeon." ~Dag Hammarskjold
8. "The most important practical lesson than can be given to nurses is to teach them what to observe." ~Florence Nightingale
9. "Nurses are an integral component of the health care system, and it is important that we recognize the over 2.7 million registered nurses for the significant work that they do." ~Nathan Deal
10. "They were a group of two dozen nurses completely surrounded by 100,000 unattached American men." ~James A. Michener
11. "I could see myself in a white nurse's uniform, working unnoticed for many years and at last dying, unknown, unmarried and unsung." ~Kate Smith
12. "I may be compelled to face danger, but never fear it, and while our soldiers can stand and fight, I can stand and feed and nurse them." ~Clara Barton
Hope these quotes about nurses inspired you to send a note, card, flowers, or leave a quick non-medical related voicemail of thanks. Our nurses and our friends deserve the recognition.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.