Celebrating Girl Scouts' Day? Join the club -- or rather, the sisterhood. Women and girls around the world participate in Girl Guides and Scouts, and there are organizations in just about every country. Not only does Girl Scouts empower young women to become the leaders of tomorrow, it provides a place to forge lifelong friendships.
Many famous women were Girl Scouts when they were young, and they all remember the same thing: the friendships. This year, why not take a moment to celebrate Girl Scout's Day -- even if you were never a Girl Scout. You can still take the time to reflect on your own friendships and those of people around the world.
1. "Badges mean nothing in themselves, but they mark a certain achievement and they are a link between the rich and the poor. For when one girl sees a badge on a sister Scout's arm, if that girl has won the same badge, it at once awakens an interest and sympathy between them."
-Juliette G. Low
2. "If it's very painful for you to criticize your friends - you're safe in doing it. But if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that's the time to hold your tongue."
- Alice Miller
3. "A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often - just to save it from drying out completely."
4. "A true friend never gets in your way unless you happen to be going down."
-Arnold H. Glasow
5. "Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis
6. "Make new friends, but keep the old: one is silver and the other gold."
-Traditional Girl Scout song
7. "The worst solitude is to be destitute of sincere friendship."
- Francis Bacon
8. "I trust that you will continue fully to use the system of work and play that our Movement provides, keeping up the fun and the friendships made at your meetings and in camps, abiding by the Promise and upholding the Laws that you undertook to live by when you joined up."
-Olave Baden-Powell, founder of Girl Scouts, from her final message
9. "What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?"
- George Eliot
10. "A friend is a gift you give yourself."
- Robert Louis Stevenson
11. "Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
- Mark Twain
12. "Friends and good manners will carry you where money won't go."
Whether you're a Girl Scout, a Boy Scout, or just someone who appreciates good friendships, you can enjoy celebrating Girl Scouts' Day secure in the knowledge that you have a close friend who cares. This year on Girl Scouts' Day, let's all try to remember the friendships that make our lives special and take a moment to get in touch with someone close to our hearts!
For more friendship quotes, check out the popular friendship quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.