For a certain generation, Kurt Cobain's birthday is on par with Lincoln's. Not only was he an extraordinarily talented musician, his abilities and style inspired thousands of young people around the world. What the Beatles were to the sixties, Nirvana was to the nineties.
For that reason, many musicians still regard Kurt Cobain as the saint of rock 'n roll -- a man who attained legendary status with his untimely death. Now, many years later, we still remember him as a troubled genius, a musical mastermind, and someone with quite a bit to say about music in general. If you love music as much as Kurt Cobain did, you'll love his musical quotes.
1. I was looking for something a lot heavier, yet melodic at the same time. Something different from heavy metal, a different attitude.
2. I really haven't had that exciting of a life. There are a lot of things I wish I would have done, instead of just sitting around and complaining about having a boring life. So I pretty much like to make it up. I'd rather tell a story about somebody else.
3. You know what I hate about rock? I hate tie-dyed tee shirts.
4. We have no right to express an opinion until we know all of the answers.
5. Music is first, lyrics are secondary.
6. Punk rock should mean freedom, playing whatever you want, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and it has passion.
7. That's what music is, entertainment. The more you put yourself into it, the more of you comes out in it.
8. I'm gonna be a superstar musician, kill myself and go out in a flame of glory, just ike Jimi Hendrix.
9. Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock.
10. People ask me what's like to hear our song on the radio. I don't know, I don't listen to the radio.
11. Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with your self esteem.
As we approach Kurt Cobain's birthday, many musicians and musical enthusiasts start thinking back to the life and career of this extraordinary man. Whether you're a musician yourself or just someone who loves Nirvana, you can't do better than these Kurt Cobain quotes.
For more quotes related to music and musicians, check out the popular music quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.