Martin Luther King Jr. quotes are more than just a collection of a dead man's words. They are inspiring thoughts and ideas to live by. Martin Luther King Jr. was a civil rights activist and Baptist minister who believed wholly in the principles of equality, fraternity, and justice. Unlike many who are willing to fight for what they believe in, he embraced peaceful means -- and that's why we still find his quotes words to live by.
1. Life's most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?
2. Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase.
3. History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
4. I am not interested in power for power's sake, but I am interested in power that is moral, that is right and
that is good.
5. I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
6. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
7. Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
8. I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.
9. I submit to you that if a man hasn't discovered something he will die for, he isn't fit to live.
10. We must develop and maintain the capacity to forgive. He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love. There is some good in the worst of us and some evil in the best of us. When we discover this, we are less prone to hate our enemies.
11. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
12. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
13. If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michaelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well.
Martin Luther King Jr. made great strides in the civil rights movement through the principles of peace, justice, forgiveness, and love. His memory lives on as an inspiration to thousands, and these Martin Luther King Jr. quotes are sure to remind you of why we honor him so highly.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.