Jane Austen born December 16, 1775 still has loads to share with us. Never mind the resurgence of her popularity with delightful movies in the 1990's based on her novels, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, and Pride and Prejudice. Or maybe, the resurgence in popularity of Austen's novels shows a definite correlation to modern day issues? Whatever the reason, Jane Austen quotes and novels seem as relative today as they were in the 1800's.
1. "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."
2. "If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."
3. "An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done."
4. "Every man is surrounded by a neighborhood of voluntary spies."
5. "Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves; vanity, to what we would have others think of us."
6. "Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs of disappointed love."
7. "My idea of good company is the company of clever, well-informed people who have a great deal of conversation; that is what I call good company."
8. "If things are going untowardly one month, they are sure to mend the next."
9. "Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast."
10. "One does not love a place the less for having suffered in it, unless it has been all suffering, nothing but suffering."
11. "Seldom, very seldom, does complete truth belong to any human disclosure; seldom can it happen that something is not a little disguised, or a little mistaken."
12. "There is something so amiable in the prejudices of a young mind, that one is sorry to see them give way to the reception of more general opinions."
13. "To flatter and follow others, without being flattered and followed in turn, is but a state of half enjoyment."
14. "We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
Did these Jane Austen quotes make you think a little about yourself and your children? How amazingly timeless is this literary genius? I loved these quotes reminding me to be the best person I can be. Hope you felt the same! Check out one of her novels or one of the amazing movies based on her writing. You won't be disappointed.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.