Sometimes the greatest complaints heard by a mother about her daughter, or a husband about his wife, or a child about his parent is "he/she never listens to me." So let's take time this November 26th to not only listen to what our loved ones are saying, but also really hear what they want us to understand. Let these listening quotes give you some ideas.
1. "The first duty of love is to listen." ~Paul Tillich
2. "A wise old owl sat on an oak; The more he saw the less he spoke; The less he spoke the more he heard; Why aren't we like that wise old bird?" ~Anonymous
3. "Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you'd have preferred to talk." ~Doug Larson
4. "A good listener tries to understand what the other person is saying. In the end he may disagree sharply, but because he disagrees, he wants to know exactly what it is he is disagreeing with." ~Kenneth A. Wells
5. "We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak." ~Epictetus
6. "Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be." ~Shel Silverstein
7. "Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. The friends who listen to us are the ones we move toward. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand." ~Anonymous
8. "Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." ~Winston Churchill
9. "Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again." ~Andre Gide
10. "Don't worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." ~Robert Fulghum
11. "Deep listening is miraculous for both listener and speaker. When someone receives us with open-hearted, non-judging, intensely interested listening, our spirits expand." ~Sue Patton Thoele
12. "You seldom listen to me, and when you do you don't hear, and when you do hear you hear wrong, and even when you hear right you change it so fast that it's never the same." ~Marjorie Kellogg
Hearing the words is not exactly the same as listening. Watch your loved one tell you a story. What are you listening to beyond the words? Do you hear an angry or sad tone to his voice? Does she make hand motions in your direction that demonstrate how important this idea is to her? Hope these listening quotes give you some idea on how to improve your interpersonal relationships this November 26th. Give it a shot!
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.