She made her film debut as the strikingly memorable Celie in The Color Purple. And a mere 5 years later, she wins top actor honors with an Oscar for her portrayal of Oda Mae Brown in Ghost. Yes, of course we're celebrating Whoopi Goldberg. Whether on the couch speaking politics and current issues with the ladies of The View, or working on her latest film... she is an undeniable force in Hollywood. Let's celebrate her 55th birthday with Whoopi Goldberg quotes.
Incidentally, be sure to check out the first quote to see how Caryn Elaine Johnson became "Whoopi Goldberg".
1. "A woman said to me, "If I was your mother, I would have called you Whoopi, because when you're unhappy you make a sound like a whoopee cushion."
2. "When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire."
3. "Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine."
4. "We're here for a reason. I believe a bit of the reason is to throw little torches out to lead people through the dark."
5. "If every American donated five hours a week, it would equal the labor of 20 million full-time volunteers."
6. "I don't have pet peeves, I have whole kennels of irritation."
7. "I don't like driving very much. That makes me very unhappy, because I scream a lot in the car, but other than that, life is actually pretty good."
8. "We're dealing with old issues that aren't ours. We carry them and we pass them on to those who come after us. I am hoping to crack some of those."
9. "I come from New York; as a kid, I lived in the projects and you're the people I watched...you're the people that made me wanna be an actor... I'm so proud to be here, I'm proud to be an actor and I'm gonna keep on acting, and thank you so much!"
10. "I`m a big old egoistical baby and that`s okay. I can accept it."
11. "I was the last person you would expect to be a success in this business. But I always felt if I kept going something would happen. But I even surprised myself at times."
12. "I`ve done good stuff and bad stuff. That`s what careers are all about."
On The View, this captivating woman draws us in. Speaking her mind no matter what. In her films she can't help but let that same spark shine through. It's no wonder she's such a success. Hope these Whoopi Goldberg quotes have you running to grab one of her films or check out one of her latest blogs.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.