What the world must have been like in 1492! People envisioning a world that did not include an entire half of the planet. Thank heavens for the visionary that was Christopher Columbus and his quest to determine where the world ended. And then discovering it in fact... does not end. But is a globally spherical.
So let's celebrate our ultimate founding father with Christopher Columbus quotes.
1. "Following the light of the sun, we left the Old World."
2. "I should not proceed by land to the East, as is customary, but by a Westerly route, in which direction we have hitherto no certain evidence that any one has gone."
3. "And your Highnesses, as Catholic Christians and Princes, devoted to the holy Christian faith and the propagation thereof - and enemies of the sect of Mohammet and of all idolatries and heresies, resolved to send me, Christopher Columbus, to the said"
4. "The crew of the caravel "Nina" also saw signs of land, and a small branch covered with berries. Everyone breathed afresh and rejoiced at these signs."
5. "Gold is a treasure, and he who possesses it does all he wishes to in this world, and succeeds in helping souls into paradise."
6. "I found that part of it towards San Salvador extending from north to south five leagues, and the other side which we coasted along, ran from east to west more than ten leagues."
7. "By prevailing over all obstacles and distractions, one may unfailingly arrive at his chosen goal or destination."
8. "For the execution of the voyage to the Indies, I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics or maps."
9. "I am not solicitous to examine particularly everything here, which indeed could not be done in fifty years, because my desire is to make all possible discoveries, and return to your Highnesses, if it please our Lord, in April."
10. "The air soft as that of Seville in April, and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it."
11. "Tomorrow morning before we depart, I intend to land and see what can be found in the neighborhood."
12. "But in truth, should I meet with gold or spices in great quantity, I shall remain till I collect as much as possible, and for this purpose I am proceeding solely in quest of them."
The bravery of this exploration is unfathomable. We should feel inspired to believe in the unknown. A world outside of our safe borders of rational thought seems within reach. And we only have to look to the uncompromising strength of Christopher Columbus. So take your day off school or work and really think and create your own destiny inspired with these Columbus quotes.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.