Mother Teresa was born August 26, 1910. And for nearly 50 years, she worked with and founded the Missionaries of Charity. It began as an order with 13 members. At the time of her death in 1997, the Missionaries of Charity had over 4,000 nuns working for the impoverished and sick all over the world.
There can be no better guide on how to live a life of service to the poor than by taking some Mother Teresa quotes into your heart.
1. "I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love."
2. "Even the rich are hungry for love, for being cared for, for being wanted, for having someone to call their own."
3. "Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for greater developments and greater riches and so on, so that children have very little time for their parents. Parents have very little time for each other, and in the home begins the disruption of peace of the world."
4. "What we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But if that drop was not in the ocean, I think the ocean would be less because of that missing drop. I do not agree with the big way of doing things."
5. "We can not do great things. We can only do little things with great love."
6. "We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass- grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls."
7. "If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one."
8. "Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."
9. "Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile."
10. "I never will understand all the good that a simple smile can accomplish."
11. "Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies."
12. "Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go."
Mother Teresa taught us all to start small but hope big. The lives, hearts and hands she touched... are many of the ones we turn away from. So I hope these Mother Teresa quotes have inspired you to help out at a local senior center, soup kitchen, or hospital. You never know how touching someone in the smallest way will lead to a more hopeful heart.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.