So while many different nations celebrate a Teacher Appreciation Day, I find the Bolivian and Chinese day for Teachers on June 6th to be most appropriate. We find some children in caps and gowns this week, others throwing their lockers into their backpacks and rushing home, preschoolers graduating into the unknown world of Kindergarten.
So let's celebrate our teachers today with some amazing quotes about teaching. And really thank your teacher today before you move on thanks to them!
1. "Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. The human mind is our fundamental resource." ~John F. Kennedy
2. "The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind." ~Khalil Gibran
3. "Teach the children so that it will not be necessary to teach the adults." ~Abraham Lincoln
4. "The dream begins with a teacher who believes in you, who tugs and pushes and leads you to the next plateau, sometimes poking you with a sharp stick called 'truth.'" ~Dan Rather
5. "A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." ~Henry Adams
6. "The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires." ~William A. Ward
7. "The highest result of education is tolerance." ~Helen Keller
8. "Teachers are expected to reach unattainable goals with inadequate tools. The miracle is that at times they accomplish this impossible task." ~Haim Ginott
9. "None of us got where we are solely by pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps. We got here because somebody ... bent down and helped us pick up our boots." ~Thurgood Marshall
10. "One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child." ~Carl Jung
11. "A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others." ~Anonymous
12. "While parents possess the original key to their offspring's experience, teachers have a spare key. They, too, can open or close the minds and hearts of children." ~Haim Ginott
I hope these quotes about teaching reminds you to send a special thank you to a former favorite teacher, or a teacher educating your child this past year. Teachers don't teach for the monetary reward, but serving students and getting them up the educational ladder is their reward. So remember to give a heartfelt "thanks" to those teachers as you leave this week or the next. It'll be the greatest gift you can give them.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.