Paul Gauguin was a prominent painter in the late 19th Century. Alongside the likes of Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Cezanne and Camille Pissarro they brought the school of Impressionistic artwork to a bright new level. Throughout his tumultuous life, Paul Gauguin produced much work to be proud of. In Europe and in Polynesia whatever his theme, all of his paintings contain bold, contrasting colors and strong brush marks.
So for today's Art 101 lecture... check out some quotes about Impressionism and discover this amazing world of light and color.
1. "I didn't become an impressionist. As long as I can remember I always have been one." ~Claude Monet
2. "Painting in the tradition of the post-impressionists is not about strict adherence to details. There is an engaging middle ground where fundamentals in realism yield to expressive abstraction of the elements." ~Gavin Brooks
3. "Impressionism; it is the birth of Light in painting." ~Robert Delaunay
4. "It isn't an easy job to paint oneself - at any rate if it is to be different from a photograph. And you see - this, in my opinion, is the advantage that impressionism possesses over all the other things; it is not banal, and one seeks after a deeper resemblance than the photograph." ~Vincent Van Gogh
5. "The true impressionism is realism. So many people do not observe. They take the ready-made axioms laid down by others, and walk blindly in a rut without trying to see for themselves." ~Childe Hassam
6. "It is that rare impressionist painting where people don't judge the light, but rather are judged by it." ~Alexandra Johnson
7. "Impressionism means taking inspiration directly from nature, trusting your senses rather than what you think you know." ~Michael McClure
8. "For an impressionist to paint from nature is not to paint the subject, but to realize sensations." ~Paul Cezanne
9. "To my mind, a picture should be something pleasant, cheerful, and pretty, yes pretty! There are too many unpleasant things in life as it is without creating still more of them." ~Pierre August Renoir
10. "Work at the same time on sky, water, branches, ground, keeping everything going on an equal basis... Don't be afraid of putting on color... Paint generously and unhesitatingly, for it is best not to lose the first impression." ~Camille Pissarro
Paul Gauguin once lived with Vincent Van Gogh during a rocky time mentally for both of them in Arles France. Famously the partnership dissipated resulting in a cut off ear and Gauguin moving away for good. But whatever the mind set... their genius is unparalleled. So hope you've enjoyed your little art history lesson for the day with these quotes about Impressionism.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.