Mike the Headless Chicken Day is an institution in Fruita, Colorado. Such a crazy story! So Farmer Olsen goes out to kill a chicken one day, and the thing remained alive with not much of a head for 18 months. Mr. Olsen felt Mike's will to live was so strong that he fed and kept him healthy as long as he and his family could. Mike weighed nearly 8 pounds at his death in a hotel room in 1948. That was 6 pounds more than he weighed at his beheading!
After his death autopsy revealed that the ax had missed his carotid artery and a blood clot stopped him from bleeding to death. With the brain stem and other major organs left in tact. He was able to survive. Wow. Well of course, Mike deserves to get an article with some great chicken quotes.
1. "People who count their chickens before they are hatched, act very wisely, because chickens run about so absurdly that it is impossible to count them accurately." ~Oscar Wilde
2. "I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens." ~Isaac Beshevis Singer
3. "Educational television should be absolutely forbidden. It can only lead to unreasonable disappointment when your child discovers that the letters of the alphabet do not leap up out of books and dance around with royal-blue chickens." ~Fran Lebovitz
4. "If we decide to take this level of business creating ability nationwide, we'll all be plucking chickens for a living." ~H. Ross Perot
5. "It is not unprofessional to give free legal advice, but advertising that the first visit will be free is a bit like a fox telling chickens he will not bite them until they cross the threshold of the hen house." ~Warren E. Burger
6. "Business is never so healthy as when, like a chicken, it must do a certain amount of scratching for what it gets." ~Henry Ford
7. "If a chicken had lips could it whistle?" ~Even Stevens' Shia Leboeuf
8. "In Italy, there's always chickens, but no eggs. In Africa there's eggs, but never chickens. Who separated them?" ~Caravaggio in the English Patient
9. "If people knew how KFC treats its chickens, they'd never eat another drumstick." ~Pamela Anderson
10. "A Jewish woman had two chickens. One got sick, so the woman made chicken soup out of the other one to help the sick one get well." ~Henny Youngman
11. "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it." ~Arnold H. Glasgow
12. "It is better to be the head of chicken than the rear end of an ox" ~Japanese Proverb
Amazing isn't it? Well, the people of Fruita, Colorado thought so too and during the third week of May they celebrate Mike the Headless Chicken with festivals, games, and run/walk events. So hats off to Mike! Chicken quotes are a great way for us to celebrate him too.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.