Anna Jarvis started the idea of a "Mother's Day" in 1908 for honoring mothers. And Woodrow Wilson made it an official national holiday in 1914. Our pillar of strength, the lap where we lay our weary head, our greatest supporter... she's our mother. It's not a simple task... this mothering business. But we learn that the moment we receive a wrapped up infant in our arms. It was a struggle to become a mother, and it remains a struggle for the rest of our babies' lives.
So let's lighten the load a bit and take a look at some funny quotes about motherhood from our favorite TV moms!
1. "Six kids and no noise. That's what's the matter with that. I've never heard such a loud silence." ~Carol Brady
2. "This family has had its differences and we've squabbled, but we've never had knife fights before." ~Marge Simpson
3. "I just reread every e-mail you sent in the last 10 days. No sickness mentioned, but you did share these gems: "What up? Is it freezing there too? Ice". And, "Pooped". Then you added one of those obnoxious hieroglyphics that I can never read that indicate you're laughing or smiling or frowning or vomiting." ~Lorelei Gilmore
4. "Well, we don't have enough closet space, life would be so much more pleasant if we just had more closet space" ~Marion Cunningham
5. "Ray, when you're on the Titanic you lower the lifeboats. You don't stop to yell at the iceberg. ~Debra Barone
6. "Let me tell you, it didn't start with a smile. It started with nineteen hours of horrible labor!" ~Marie Barone
7. "Why are you so fascinated with fighting? I don't want anybody to beat anybody up. What is wrong with you people? You make me sick. I just want you to love each other, you big bunch of jerks." ~Jill Taylor
8. "I would like to know what we ever asked you to do except hang up your clothes before they take root." ~Clair Huxtable
9. "I tell ya, a guy selling brains could clean up in this family." Mama Harper
10. "Laura! Don't say "hate" - don't even think "hate"! I'm sure Nellie has her good qualities somewhere." ~Caroline Ingalls
11. "Dear, do you think all parents have this much trouble? ~June Cleaver "No, just parents with children." ~Ward Cleaver
12. "No matter what we do we're gonna screw our kids up! Let me have Darlene and you can have Becky." ~Roseanne
There you have it! Hope the mother in you laughed out loud at these funny quotes, and the child in you thought about your own moms. Happy Mother's Day!
For more funny quotes, check out the popular funny quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.