Sigmund Freud was an original thinker and established a radar for examining human behavior. Freud challenges individuals to view themselves from within as well as watching from outside. He also started a separate category in Psychology called "Psychoanalysis". The idea gets explored in Freudian therapy sessions that "repressed" memories and childhood experiences lead to discovery of "true" self.
His views on dreams and self-discovery resonate with the field Psychoanalysis still today. So in honor of Sigmund Freud's birth, check out these Freud quotes and take some time to reflect on yourself this May 6th.
1. "What a distressing contrast there is between the radiant intelligence of the child and the feeble mentality of the average adult."
2. "Love and work... work and love, that's all there is."
3. "Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts."
4. "Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
5. "Whoever loves becomes humble. Those who love have, so to speak, pawned a part of their narcissism."
6. "Look into the depths of your own soul and learn first to know yourself, then you will understand why this illness was bound to come upon you and perhaps you will thenceforth avoid falling ill."
7. "Children are completely egoistic; they feel their needs intensely and strive ruthlessly to satisfy them."
9. "A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world."
10. "The conscious mind may be compared to a fountain playing in the sun and falling back into the great subterranean pool of subconscious from which it rises."
11. "The impression forces itself upon one that men measure by false standards, that everyone seeks power, success, riches for himself, and admires others who attain them, while undervaluing the truly precious thing in life."
12. "What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books."
Ah. We can all use a little introspection. Hope these Sigmund Freud quotes encourage you to some exploring your own mind and hearts.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.