"When I am an old woman I shall wear purple. With a red hat that doesn't go and doesn't suit me." And with this quote from Jenny Jones... the Red Hat Society was born in 1998. Sue Ellen Cooper simply began giving friends gifts of red hats after reading Jones' poem as they approached their later 50's, and she ignited a movement.
This movement comprised of fiery, spirited women embracing old age with humor, dedication and compassion for one another. Let's celebrate National Red Hat Society Day donning our red fedoras and purple dresses to show our support for this inspirational group of women. And check out some notable quotes about aging too of course!
1. "People are always asking me when I'm going to retire. Why should I? I've got it two ways - I'm still making movies, and I'm a senior citizen, so I can see myself at half price." ~ George Burns
2. "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
3. "The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm." ~Aldous Huxley
4. "Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone." ~Jim Fiebig
5. "The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left." ~Jerry M. Wright
6. "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been." ~Madeleine L'Engle
7. "The great secret that all old people share is that you really haven't changed in 70 or 80 years. Your body changes, but you don't change at all." ~Doris Lessing
8. "Like a lot of fellows around here, I have a furniture problem. My chest has fallen into my drawers." ~Billy Casper
9. "You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there." ~George Burns
10. "At my age I do what Mark Twain did. I get my daily paper, look at the obituaries page and if I'm not there I carry on as usual." ~Patrick Moore
So what are you waiting for? Get out there and strut your stuff Seniors. Wear red with purple. Get your discounts and make younger people do stuff you know you can do too, but just don't feel like it! Hope these quotes about aging gave you a giggle or two.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.