German chemist Wilhelm von Bunsen was born on March 31, 1811. And high school students and budding chemists all over the world rejoice! Because Herr Bunsen invented the Bunsen Burner. In response, National Bunsen Burner Day was created. So let's celebrate the field of chemistry and other scientific achievements by checking out some quotes about science.
1. "It is the tension between creativity and skepticism that has produced the stunning and unexpected findings of science." ~Carl Sagen
2. "Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life." ~Immanual Kant
3. "Science cannot resolve moral conflicts, but it can help to more accurately frame the debates about those conflicts." ~Heinz Pagels
4. "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm.... that's funny....'" ~Isaac Asimov
5. "A fact is a simple statement that everyone believes. It is innocent, unless found guilty. A hypothesis is a novel suggestion that no one wants to believe. It is guilty, until found effective." ~Edward Teller
6. "The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them." ~William Lawrence Bragg
7. "Men love to wonder, and that is the seed of science." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
8. "The greatest discoveries of science have always been those that forced us to rethink our beliefs about the universe and our place in it." ~Robert L. Park
9. "The scientist is not a person who gives the right answers, he's one who asks the right questions." ~Claude Lévi-Strauss
10. "A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it." ~Max Planck
11. "Every great advance in science has issued from a new audacity of imagination."
12. "If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong." ~Arthur C. Clarke
And there you have my favorite 12 quotes about science! Get so fire up your bunsens, explore the nature exploding around you, take your telescope to the night skies. Celebrate all of science this Bunsen Burner Day.
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.