Recently, I visited Rome for the very first time. And my awe over the majesty of the Sistine Chapel mirrored the faces of the many others touring with me. The biblical scenes come alive with color and passion. It's an indelible image in my memory and heart forever. And the ceiling and "Last Judgment" wall of the Sistine Chapel was completed almost exactly 500 years ago.
Now, that definitely means this artist deserves remembering and celebrating for his March birth. So here we go with 12 Michelangelo quotes.
1. "In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it."
2. "If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all."
3. "My soul can find no staircase to heaven unless it be through earth's loveliness"
4. "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
5. "I hope that I may always desire more than I can accomplish."
6. "The promises of this world are, for the most part, vain phantoms; and to confide in one's self, and become something of worth and value is the best and safest course."
7. "A man paints with his brains and not with his hands."
8. "What spirit is so empty and blind, that it cannot recognize the fact that the foot is more noble than the shoe, and skin more beautiful that the garment with which it is clothed?"
9. "The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection."
10. "It is necessary to keep one's compass in one's eyes and not in the hand, for the hands execute, but the eye judges."
11. "Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle."
12. "Good painting is the kind that looks like sculpture."
Whether sculpting or painting, Michelangleo excelled in every area. His sculpture of "La Pieta" comes alive before your eyes. When you view the Virgin Mary's fingers digging into Jesus' body as she cradles him... you actually feel a mother's grief over the death of her son. An amazingly tragic and brilliant gift from an inspired artist.
These Michelangelo quotes provide insight into the mind of someone so talented that his work inspires and moves people 500 years into the future. Now that's someone special!
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.