Jackie Gleason was born February 26, 1916 in Brooklyn, NY. He was a big, brash comedian of the 1950s and 1960s. Whether familiar with Jackie Gleason as a comedian, favorite bus driver Ralph Kramden, or familiar movie character like Minnesota Fats in the Hustler, he did not live his life quietly.
So let's commemorate his birth with these Jackie Gleason quotes from various characters as well as the man himself. See if you can guess which quote comes from him or one of his beloved characters!
1. "If you have it and you know you have it, then you have it. If you have it and don't know you have it, you don't have it. If you don't have it but you think you have it, then you have it."
2. "Thin people are beautiful, but fat people are adorable."
3. "The second day of a diet is always easier than the first. By the second day you're off it."
4. "I have a 'Play the melody' philosophy. It means don't over-arrange, don't make life difficult. Just play the melody -- and do it the simplest way possible."
5. "Thin people are beautiful, but fat people are adorable."
6. "I have no use for humility. I am a fellow with an exceptional talent."
7. "A lot of people say, 'Well, I like a challenge. 'I don`t like challenges. Life is tough enough without any challenges."
8. "Don't start that again, Alice. No wife of mine is gonna work. I got my pride. You know, no Kramden woman has ever supported her husband. The Kramden men are the workers in the family."
9. "Me and my silly pride. Well, I promise you this, Norton: I'm gonna learn. I'm gonna learn from here on out how to swallow my pride."
11. "Do you like to gamble, Eddie? Gamble money on pool games?"
12. "Big John, do you think this boy is a hustler?"
Jackie Gleason's most successful run came as blow hard bus driver Ralph Kramden. Interacting crassly with his neighbors and wife on a nightly basis made for syndicated heaven for generations of Americans. Since he is a household name, enjoy these Jackie Gleason quotes and maybe check out another one of his works. The Hustler... anyone?
For more funny quotes, check out the popular funny quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.