President's Day in America is a National Holiday originally celebrated between the birthdays of two powerhouse American Presidents, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. The holiday has become more generic over the years and represents recognition and celebration of all US Presidents. So let's celebrate our Nation's leaders with these presidential quotes by Washington and Lincoln.
1. "Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence. True friendship is a plant of slow growth, and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation." ~George Washington
2. "I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong." ~Abraham Lincoln
3. "Ninety-nine percent of the failures come from people who have the habit of making excuses." ~George Washington
4. "I am a success today because I had a friend who believed in me and I didn't have the heart to let him down..." ~Abraham Lincoln
5. "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." ~George Washington
6. "These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert, to fleece the people" ~Abraham Lincoln
7. "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter." ~George Washington
8. "Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle." ~Abraham Lincoln
9. "Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism." ~George Washington
10. "My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." ~Abraham Lincoln
11. "Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe." ~George Washington
12. "I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him." ~Abraham Lincoln
So kick back, enjoy the government holiday, and remember why we celebrate a day saluting our Commander-in-Chief with these presidential quotes.
For more patriotic quotes, check out the popular patriotic quotes section of Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.