Punxsutawney Phil is resident groundhog and lead weather rodent to predict the coming of spring. He presides over the largest Groundhog's Day ceremony in Pennsylvania. There is odd lore about an Inner Circle of grown people who speak "groundhogese" but really that sounds a bit odd to me. So instead here's hoping Phil doesn't see his shadow and we're on the right path with these spring quotes.
1. "April prepares her green traffic light and the world thinks Go." ~Christopher Morley
2. "It was one of those March days when the sun shines hot and the wind blows cold: when it is summer in the light, and winter in the shade." ~Charles Dickens
3. "It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!" ~Mark Twain
4. "I love spring anywhere, but if I could choose I would always greet it in a garden." ~Ruth Stout
5. "The air and the earth interpenetrated in the warm gusts of spring; the soil was full of sunlight, and the sunlight full of red dust. The air one breathed was saturated with earthy smells, and the grass under foot had a reflection of the blue sky in it." ~ Willa Cather
6. "Every spring is the only spring - a perpetual astonishment." ~Ellis Peters
7. "If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall." ~Nadine Stair
8. "Oh, give us pleasure in the flowers today; And give us not to think so far away As the uncertain harvest; keep us here All simply in the springing of the year." ~Robert Frost
9. "If spring came but once a century instead of once a year, or burst forth with the sound of an earthquake and not in silence, what wonder and expectation there would be in all hearts to behold the miraculous change. " ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
10. "The difference between a gun and a tree is a difference of tempo. The tree explodes every spring. " ~Ezra Pound
11. "We want starting pitchers to be able to pitch (in the spring), even if they're going to give up runs. ~Felipe Alou
12. "Spring comes: the flowers learn their colored shapes." ~Maria Konopnicka
Well as I gaze out the window watching the snow come pouring down. I really hope that good old Phil has some fancy trick up his paw this year. Here's hoping these spring quotes send us some good weather vibes this Groundhog's Day.
For more inspirational quotes, check out the popular inspirational quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.