Some still refer to it as the "junior" League in deference to the "senior" National League. But there's nothing younger about the force of the American League in baseball history. With bitter rivals the NY Yankees and the Boston Red Sox among its impressive ranks, the American League may have gotten a later start, but winning 62 of the last 105 World Series shows its youthful power. So check out some great baseball quotes to celebrate its birth into American culture and history.
1. "Every day is a new opportunity. You can build on yesterday's success or put its failures behind and start over again. That's the way life is, with a new game every day, and that's the way baseball is." ~Bob Feller
2. "One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something." ~Nolan Ryan
3. "There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens." ~Tommy Lasorda
4. "Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball." ~Jim Murray
5. "Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets." ~Yogi Berra
6. "I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game." ~Walt Whitman
7. "Baseball is like a poker game. Nobody wants to quit when he's losing; nobody wants you to quit when you're ahead." ~Jackie Robinson
8. "Guessing what the pitcher is going to throw is eighty percent of being a successful hitter. The other twenty percent is just execution." ~Hank Aaron
9. "There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all." ~Lou Gehrig
10. "Awards mean a lot, but they don't say it all. The people in baseball mean more to me than statistics." ~Ernie Banks
11. "If you could equate the amount of time and effort put in mentally and physically into succeeding on the baseball field and measured it by the dirt on your uniform, mine would have been black." ~Mike Schmidt
12. "I would change policy, bring back natural grass and nickel beer. Baseball is the belly-button of our society. Straighten out baseball, and you straighten out the rest of the world." ~Bill Lee
So celebrate America's National pastime a little early. Gear up for spring training and enjoy these baseball quotes. And dream of cracking bats and crunching on peanuts soon.
For more sports quotes, check out the popular sports quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.